3/5/10

a bow made me cry

School pictures are pretty stinking exciting. The one thing more exciting than picture day is when the proofs are in a week or two later. Today was my first day back at Whitesburg since my surgery. I was happy to see the kids' pictures. Sam and Luke's pictures were just what I expected: adorable! After looking at Laney's proofs I looked up at her teacher and said "What's on her head?". Her sweet teacher said "Oh, I put a bow on her for the picture." I just smiled and said "I'm not a bow girl..." I handed Laney over to her, smiled, and walked away. Then the tears began to flow.

Maybe it's because I've had a tough week. I had knee surgery. Sparing you the details, the doctor told me my knee looked really crappy for a 34 year old. In the past 48 hours, our family has had 5 appointments: Luke saw a dermatologist for his eczema, Laney got tubes, I had my post-op visit at TOC, and I went to therapy yesterday and today. I'm emotionally spent...

I can't control much of what's going on these days, and that's okay. But I thought I could control what Laney looked like in her school pictures. I dressed her in the cutest little white top and purple velour pants. "This outfit will be adorable for her first school pics" I thought to myself. And she ends up with a big pink bow in her hair? My mom told me to get over it. Christine told me I'd laugh about it with Laney some day. We'll be chatting and I'll say "Laney, did I ever tell you about the time someone put a bow in your hair and I cried?"



**just so you know, laney's pictures were adorable too. the bow wasn't adorable, but her pictures were. i would post them if i had them, but they're at the school because the secretary said they would retake the pictures.
**also, i still love laney's teacher ms. gerri. she has loved on all three of my kids and is dear to my heart.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope I didn't sound as hateful in tone as the way it is written:) You did notice I was smiling when I said "you'll need to get over it." In retropspect one of these years, this will be the last thing you will give thought to, I think. Loved serving you this past week. Love, B

Penny said...

you didn't sound hateful at all, just telling it like it is. and thank you for your service this week. i loved having you here!

susan said...

Oh, Penny. I so so understand. I really believe that there is something in anesthesia that goofs up your emotions. Also, you feel so vulnerable when you've got crutches and a part of your body doesn't work. People stomp on you at the store and you can't drive and it makes you feel pitiful. The therapy (especially when it is painful) makes it worse. I get it. And I am so sorry. I love you.

I hope you feel well, soon.