1/6/10

January 5

January 5 comes and goes some years, without too much thought and with very few tears. But for some reason, yesterday was tough on me. My dad passed away 12 years ago and I couldn't shake my sorrow and self-pity. My mom and I talked last night; I told her the hardest thing for me yesterday was that I felt robbed. I loved him so much and wish I could've had more time with him. It wasn't fair that he died 4 days before my 22nd birthday. That's young. I went to bed with puffy eyes from crying, but woke up with a new outlook. Even though he left this world at a young age, he accomplished a lot for the Kingdom. He was a follower of Christ and a great influence in my life and the life of others.

He was funny...

He was a good sport...

He loved his siblings...

He was a family man...

He would try anything...
(Don't ask me why, but State Farm held a "woman-less wedding" in the early 80's. He's the blond.)

He was a great dad...

Sammy Keith Banks was a great man. He was a great friend and father to me. I could talk to him about anything, knowing he wouldn't judge me but point me in the direction that would honor my true Father in heaven... When I'm tempted to get lost in sorrow again, I hope instead that I'll be grateful for the time we shared and the memories I have stored.

9 comments:

Ashley Turnbull said...

That is a great post, and I am so glad you shared. I wish I had known when I talked to you MANY times yesterday. And, if you had needed the company, I would have gladly come by. It's really neat to hear about your dad, since you don't talk about him too much. You have a great outlook about it, and I know he would be so proud of your little family. Oh, and in one of your baby pics, you favor Luke to me!!!! I know the Lord will fill that void, as only He can do!!!!

Penny said...

Thank you. It was therapeutic to put it all down, you know? love ya'...

motheringinmadison said...

thank u for sharing!! love u!! jenn

I am glad u shared your heart and I am no expert in the subject of lossing loved ones, but i love how you feel deeply. I wish I could have met him too. I admire your honesty, I bet you got that from your great mom and dad.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful tribute to your Dad! One of the key things that drew me to your Mom was the relationship that she and your Dad had with each other, and with you and Stannon. I continue to admire your Dad's character and all that he instilled in both of you. I frequently see thing that inspire me as I watch both of your families. What a special heritage - one that will last your lifetime and on into future generations I know. Love Ya, Pops

susan said...

He was a great man. I am so sorry you don't have him anymore. He would be so proud of you, Penny. He would be so pleased.

Anonymous said...

Penny, as others have mentioned and I can agree wholeheartedly, you spoke such a tender testimony of Dad. He really was a wonderful Godly man, my best friend, great humorist, although, with a quiet spirit most of the time. He loved life and he especially loved his family, you gave him many laughs, remember him letting you put all of your hair barretts in his hair? Or what he had left anyway. And I know for a fact, he was so proud of you and Stannon and would be tickled pink with all of those precious children you have provided. Even though he isn't here physically, Penny, I believe he is watching from above and enjoying his family in a different way. I love you so much, Mom

Amy said...

Love you Penny. There is a lot to look forward to when we all meet Jesus.

Anonymous said...

He was great. We liked him too, very much. I find it hard to believe he's been gone 12 years. Loved all the pictures. KC

BKicklighter said...

He was a great man! I just loved him. He was hilarious and fun - his dry wit and willingness to play a game. . . I saw Star Wars for the first time with him and Stannon -sitting in your old den. I'm so sorry, even now, for the pain of his absence.