6/8/08

Our week in review


We've been home with Luke for a week now and have definitely faced some new challenges and joys. Although Sam welcomed Luke with open arms he's not so fond of me and Ron. He has definitely been pushing our buttons. We've probably had to discipline more this week than the past 2 1/2 years combined. But things will turn around...we're sure of that. He's got a lot to adjust to.


Below are the proud grandparents: Freddie and Christine then Dave and Glenda.


This picture was taken after Sam played outside with Ron for a few minutes. His cheeks were so red, although the picture doesn't really show it.
He was excited to get to hold Luke for the first time. He just kept staring at him.
Monday morning it was time for gymnastics.  I mistakenly drove my mom and Sam to gymnastics thinking Luke and I could go to Target for a minute.  This resulted with a screaming 3 day old until I could get to the van for a quick feeding.  He was hungry so I obliged.  I didn't get my list done at Target and quickly realized that doing things my way may not work out for quite some time.  I'll have to adapt.

Tuesday was Luke's 4-day checkup.  The doctor was surprised to learn he was back to his birth weight.  May 30 he weighed 7.6, June 1 he weighed 7 lbs, and by Tuesday the 3rd he was 7.6 again.  It normally takes 1-2 weeks for a baby to gain their birth weight back, so I was happy to know he was getting his nourishment.  Tuesday night Ron and I got to go on a date to P F Changs.  My family kept the boys which resulted in Luke's first bottle feeding.  Bad idea...bottles make nursing babies lazy.  But Ron and I had fun and enjoyed spending time together.  Thanks B and Pops!

Wednesday...Let's see, I don't remember what happened Wednesday.  My days are a blur.  All I remember is that I started noticing Sam's defiance a little more.  "What are we in for?" I thought to myself.

Thursday...more defiance and disobedience from Sam.  He's had my attention all day every day for 2 1/2 years, so he's got a lot to deal with now that he has a baby brother.  

I was faced with a huge challenge Friday: a boy who didn't want to nap. This was more than the typical nap avoidance. He threw the biggest temper tantrum I've ever seen. Kicking, screaming, throwing toys at his door, etc. 45 minutes and almost a dozen spankings later he finally went to sleep.

I got a maid too.  Housekeepers is sending Yolanda every two weeks to clean during the summer, just so I don't have to hassle with it.  My mom warned me I may find myself going back over her cleaning.  Well, she was right.  I remade the bed the way I would do it and found myself wiping the kitchen backsplash because the cleanser she used left some residue.  (Stacey, I know you're getting a laugh out of this right now.  I'm so predictable, huh?)

Friday night was movie night for Sam and Ron. They rented The Bee Movie and ate popcorn. They had lots of fun until the movie was over and it was bedtime. He threw the same tantrum, but this time I snuck off to bed and let Ron handle it.
Saturday and Sunday were good days.  We were visited by our awesome friends, Adam and Ashley on Saturday bearing the gift of yummy chocolate cake.  Then we made our way to Little Rosie's and I had my first Margarita in 9 months.  Yum! It was so good.  

Ron took Sam to the park Sunday to feed the ducks and fish.  Sam came home with stories to tell about how a duck ate from his hand...  We did have a small accident Sunday.  Sam slipped and fell on the sunroom floor and chipped another tooth.  So now he has two teeth right next to each other that are chipped.  Fortunately this one isn't as noticeable as the first.  Aside from a bit of a swollen lip, it didn't seem to bother him; he only cried a minute.  A fun Sam moment was when he played with the dishwasher. While I was at the kitchen sink cleaning up, Sam was sliding the dishwasher drawer back and forth staring at the wheel. You could tell he was trying to figure it all out.  He's got some engineer in him, that's for sure.

Today Luke had his first bath.  I'm horrible!  I can't believe I let a whole week go by without bathing him.  Baths and brushing teeth are at the bottom of my list of parental duties...they're just not fun!  So here's Luke getting a spongebath.

What a beautiful new life!  We're so blessed.

4 comments:

Ashley Turnbull said...

Oh, Penny, I am so proud of you and your "photojournalistic" pictures! Keep rockin' girlfriend. Also, you should have noted that also, on Saturday, "your good and awesome friends, the Turnbulls, brought you delicious chocolate cake and watched Bee Movie exerts with Ron and Sam while Penny nursed in another room." Hehee....

It was good seeing y'all (wow, it is hard to get in the habit of this new spelling =).

Stacey Wideman said...

I was definitely laughing at your cleaning comments! That's my best friend! Yes, laughing, but also knowing that I would do the same thing... :)

Hang in there! Luke is adorable and Sam will think so, too....one day. :)

I love you tons!
Stac

Anonymous said...

Hey Penny! You didn't tell us how Luke handled the spongebath. Did he take it like a little man or rebel a little? He looks very calm in the picture. Can't wait to see ya'll again. YES!!! All of you! Love, B

Dayna said...

Hi, Penny! I laughed, too, at your cleaning up behind the maid! :)

Bravo for letting Ron handle the nighttime tantrum!

Morgan had a tooth-chipping habit when she was younger. She still ended up with a winning smile. Sam will recover, too.

I hope to be able to see you soon and meet Luke. We're waiting...