6/26/08

He's really growing up

Everyone says it: Enjoy the time you have with your kids because before you know it they'll be grown.  Well, Sam isn't grown yet but he's getting there.  In the past week, I have noticed a huge change in his level of independence.  It's sobering.  He's really growing up...and I'm crying a tear now just thinking about it.
Don't get me wrong, I'm glad he can crush and peel his own peanuts at our favorite family restaurant "Five Guys...".  But this is not something he was doing a couple of months ago.
He also would have nothing to do with wearing a backpack a few months ago.  This morning before heading to MDO he asked if he could take his backpack.  He also asked if he could wear it and walk in by himself without holding my hand.  And to top that off, he carried in the plate of cookies we decorated last night to share with his friends and didn't spill them!  What?  He's growing up for sure.

I'll always think of him as my baby...

3 comments:

The Jefferys said...

Okay... I am totally crying! I can not believe how fast these babies grow up. I loved your announcement by the way. I am excited that Sam is growing into his role as big brother. It is so fun watching your children with you.

The Burgess Family said...

Gees, before you know it we're all going to be grandparents! I always kind of just smile and nod at all the many strangers that tell me "before you know it they are all grown up" but it's true. It's bitter sweet because I love watching Clayton grow into the person the Lord has created him to be, but he hardly fits in my arms anymore. I'm gonna have to get me another one Lord willing!!

Anonymous said...

Penny, reading the statement about Sam walking into MDO by himself, wanting to carry the cookies, etc. reminded me of your first day of school. You didn't want me to walk you into the school, along with not wanting to hold my hand and you didn't even walk, you RAN!!! It is hard to see these big steps take place, but on the other hand, you can realize you are doing exactly what God has designed you to do, helping Sam become independant of you, to a degree, and prayerfully, totally dependant on God. That is my prayer for him, to walk closely with God. Love you lots, B