3/31/08

100 facts about Penny

My friend Ashley has tagged me in the 100 useless random facts game. And I'm up for the challenge. I already know who I'll tag next...Ron and Anna. Are y'all up for it? I know you both have some interesting things to share.

1. I was born January 9, 1976 Penny Layne Banks in Birmingham, AL.
2. Depending on which parent you asked I was named after the Beatles song.
3. I was very much of a tom-boy growing up. I guess I'm still a tom-boy.
4. My first pet was a dog named Brownie.
5. I became a Christian when I was 6.
6. I was a bossy kid and never minded my own business in pre-school. I was assigned chores to help the teacher just so she could keep me from telling the other kids what to do. (I didn't find out until high school the reason for those chores...I thought she just really liked my help.)
7. I enjoyed going fishing with my dad when I was little.
8. I have an older brother, Stannon Kyle Banks.
9. He's married to Jennifer and they have 3 kids.
10. I took ballet for 3 months when I was 6 and quit because the teacher kept pointing out my big booty. I'm sorry, Mrs. Barker...I just couldn't tuck in that butt.
11. My best friend's name when I was little was Susan.
12. I fell off my bike when I was in elementary school and broke the bottom half of my front tooth.
13. The cutest boy in the neighborhood helped me up from my fall and walked me home. I was in love.
14. I wore braces for 11 months to correct an overbite.
15. I went to public school in 8th grade just to see what it was like.
16. All my other years of schooling were at Briarwood Christian. Go lions!
17. I know now how great of a school Briarwood is...I wish we had one here in Huntsville.
18. My 1st grade teacher was Mrs. Whiting. She was beautiful and I thought she looked like Cinderella.
19. My 3rd grade teacher was Mrs. Rooks. She was mean.
20. We had a Mexican girl live with us during my 3rd grade year so she could go to school in the States. She was in 8th grade and spoke NO English when she arrived. Her name was Nadia.
21. When I was in 5th grade, I was running out the double doors to go to recess and forgot there was a metal beam in between the 2 doors. I ended up at the doctor's office with a very messed up knee.
22. I had my first kiss in 9th grade.
23. My brother was in 12th grade while I was in 9th. His friends looked out for me and even threatened to beat a couple of guys up for picking on me.
24. I walked out of the bathroom 9th grade year with my dress tucked in to my underwear. One of my brother's friends let me know my underwear was showing...I was so embarassed.
25. 9th grade is when I started trying to "be my own person" so as not to be compared to my brother.
26. I started my rebellious stage in 10th grade.
27. I used to carry vodka around school in a water bottle. Sorry Mom, you probably didn't know that...
28. My science teacher invited me to his parent/teacher conference with my mom. When asked what he could do to make me a better student, I told him "Nothing, I just don't like you." My mom was so embarassed.
29. I hitch-hiked once in 11th grade with a girl-friend of mine. I won't tell the whole story...it would take too long. Long story short the man who picked us up ended up being a Christian and shared Christ with us on the way home.
30. June 10, 1993 God grabbed a hold of me. I saw life in a whole new way.
31. That summer before my senior year marked a huge change in my spiritual life and relationships.
32. My senior year of high school I wrecked my first car, a Toyota Tercel, by not putting it in gear and it rolling down the hill.
33. This is also how my brother wrecked his first car, a Toyota Tercel. We both assumed the emergency brake was good enough and just like that, within a few seconds, totalled our cars. My poor parents.
34. After I graduated high school I went to Auburn.
35. I only attended 2 quarters; my dad made me come home due to my 1.5 GPA.
36. Then I went to Jefferson State Community College.
37. Northeast Lousiana University.
38. Montevallo University.
39. Troy State University. (I finally graduated from Troy, 11 years after high school graduation.)
40. While at Auburn I was on the Praise Team at RUF (Reformed University Fellowship).
41. I was a Match Mate at Auburn. Personal assistant/cheerleader/ego-builder for one of the tennis players. I loved tennis.
42. I came home and worked at Lemstone Bookstore in the Galleria.
43. That following summer of '95 I went to live in Panama City for Campus Outreach Beach Project.
44. I worked at McDonald's and LOVED it.
45. I came back home to Birmingham and worked at McDonald's.
46. I was even an assistant manager.
47. I got my first tattoo when I was 20...and yes, I made sure my parents were okay with it.
48. I moved to Louisiana with my parents when I was 20. I didn't want to stay in Birmingham alone.
49. My dad suddenly passed away from a stroke a year later, 4 days before my 22nd birthday.
50. It's probably safe to say my dad was my best friend.
51. Since his death, my mom and I have grown so close that I can say she's my best friend.
52. I met my hubby Ron 3 months after my dad died.
53. The first thing I noticed about Ron: he was wearing Birkenstocks. Birks were a big trend in Birmingham but not in Louisiana...I knew he was special. :)
54. We met at a Christian Coffee House.
55. My boyfriend a few months prior to our meeting told Ron I was from Birmingham, since Ron had lived there, and that he needed to meet me.
56. So after me and "the other guy" broke up, Ron introduced himself.
57. We met in April, started dating in May, and Ron bought my engagement ring in June.
58. My brother walked me down the aisle on July 31, 1999.
59. Ron and I have been married 8 1/2 years and have moved 9 times.
60. Our house is for sale now, so we're close to move number 10.
61. The second thing I noticed about Ron: his legs. He has fine legs!!
62. I've lived in Birmingham, Monroe, Mobile, and Huntsville.
63. I've worked many jobs since I was 14.
64. My first job was at Lifeline Adoption Agency. I answered phones, filed, etc.
65. I worked at "Be Happy Yogurt and Deli" my freshman year of high school.
66. I worked at State Farm during my high school and college summers.
67. I worked at a cafeteria, bank, clothing store, gas station, Baptist Student Union, as a part-time nanny, and more. I seriously can't remember all the jobs I've had.
68. My shortest job lasted 2 days: Lerner at the mall in Monroe. They had me on the schedule until 9pm...I stayed until after 10 to clean and told them I really needed to go. They fired me the next day for leaving before I had finished my duties. I told them it was only right for them to let me use my 50% discount one more time before I was no longer an employee. So I racked up on some clothes before leaving!!
69. I've never been afraid to ask for what I want (see previous story).
70. I'm brutally honest, which Ron loves and sometimes doesn't love at the same time.
71. He says my honesty is what first attracted him to me.
72. The third thing I noticed about Ron: he was genuinely kind.
73. At one point in our marriage, Ron and I lived in a 400 square foot garage apartment that cost us $150 a month. We almost killed each other... :)
74. My favorite color is purple.
75. My favorite candy bar is 3 Musketeers.
76. I hate to shop.
77. I love getting pedicures.
78. I presently have 3 tattoos.
79. I plan on getting my 4th tattoo this summer after Luke is born.
80. I'm 7 months pregnant with Luke.
81. Ron and I already have one son: Sam.
82. Sam was named after his two granddads. My dad's name was Sammy, Ron's dad is named Freddie...we couldn't name him Sammy Freddie Philley, so he's named Samuel Frederick.
83. We haven't picked out a middle name for Luke yet, but we're leaning towards Ronald...
84. I love babies!
85. We were a foster family during my junior high and high school years. We had 18 babies over the course of about 6 years.
86. I love being a wife and mom...it's my dream job. Hard work but so rewarding!
87. I finally ended up getting a degree in Psychology...previously majored in education.
88. Even though I LOVE Huntsville, I still think of Birmingham as home.
89. My mom and her husband Dave are in B'ham along with my brother and his family.
90. I have some wonderful friends here in Huntsville...I'm blessed.
91. My best friend is Stacey and she lives in Boston, MA. We met in college. Which one you may ask? NLU.
92. In general I don't like to read, but I love a good C.S. Lewis book. He's brilliant.
93. My favorite Bible verse is Jeremiah 10:6 and following: "No one is like you, Oh Lord; Your name is great and mighty in power."
94. I've already mentioned my sis-in-law Jennifer, but there's also Ron's sister, Rebekah. She lives in Montgomery. Her husband is Jeff and they're both teachers.
95. I drive a mini-van and love it.
96. I like reality TV. (even though it's far from real)
97. I wish I had a good nickname. Ron likes to call me something different every few months...nothing ever sticks.
98. I like sports in general, but football is my favorite.
99. Two places I'd like to vacation are San Antonio and Seattle.
100. I want a dog even though it's not practical for our family right now.

That was so much harder than I thought it would be. I hope you enjoyed it Ashley... I enjoyed thinking up things from the past.

2 comments:

Ashley Turnbull said...

Loved it! I laughed out loud when I read that your wrecked your Tercel when it rolled down the hill. I'm laughing again now. And, I like hearing some of your "story." That's what blogs are for...

Can't wait to hear Ron's...

Signed, The 3rd shift call girl...

Dana said...

When I was in 9th grade my "perfect" brother was in 12th grade. He made my life miserable. I feel your pain. Even back then people thought he was Mr. Wonderful. It was awful!

I love your brutal honesty. I find it very endearing.

Love you!