2/8/08

Last night

Some of you may have heard me talk about the football pool I was in during the fall.  Ron and about 10 of his co-workers picked 5 college football games every week to include in this challenge:  The Pick 5.  (I know, what an original name.)   So the rules were simple:  you pick which 5 teams you think will win, and you get a point for each one answered correctly.   Considering how much I love football, I got in on this competition the first week.  I noticed after a couple weeks that my name was never  included on the results sheet Ron printed out and took to the hospital.  So I asked him about this.  He said even though I was playing, I didn't really count since I didn't work at the hospital.  I begged to differ...so they voted.  They took a vote on whether or not I should be allowed in their "club" and the answer was yes!  Everyone agreed.

So that you can better understand why this challenge was important to me, I'll share some embarassing tidbits about my level of achievements.  Ron and I were cleaning out our attic a few years ago and came across our boxes of childhood memories.  Each of our moms were nice enough to save some things that were important to us.  I had 2 boxes filled with random stuff, including 2 awards.  The only two awards I ever got in my life:  Most Outstanding Home Economic Student (1993) and Most Outstanding Choral Student (1992).  Ron had 4 boxes.  3 of those boxes were filled with nothing but awards and trophies.  I'm not kidding.  He looked at all he had won, then looked at me and jokingly said "2 awards is all you got?".  Ha Ha...  I can take it from Ron, 'cause I know he was just being funny.  But this shows you why I like to win...

At the end of the 13 week season, it was clear that I was the winner.  By 4 or 5 points, I might add.  No one was close!  :)  But Ron had some bad news.  My win wasn't legitimate to them.  They decided that I didn't count; some guy named Marty was getting MY first place trophy!  What?!  After weeks of sulking, Ron brought something home for me.  My trophy!  Funny thing is?...Marty bought it for me.  I guess he couldn't live with the fact that he robbed me of one of the few things I'd ever win in life.  So this small little trophy has it's own place on our fireplace mantle.  Yep, I'm serious.  I'm going to bask in the glory of it for just a while before I box it up with my other 2 awards.  :)  
Last night, I went with a group of girls from my church to Connors Steakhouse for Ashley's birthday.  We had so much fun!  The food and company was great.  We followed it up with a movie at Monaco Theatres (so swanky); we saw the chick-flick 27 Dresses which was a funny movie.  Happy Birthday Ashley...I'm glad you were born!

1 comment:

Ashley Turnbull said...

Yea for fun girls' nights out! Whohoo! Thanks for organizing - it was a blast. Something we MUST do more often. I can't get enough Penny-stories!!! Have fun on your trip...